IMPORTANT NOTICE: THESE RULES AND REGULATIONS (“RULES”) SHALL GOVERN THE TRADE AND CONNECTIVITY CHALLENGE 2019 (“COMPETITION”). BY YOUR ENTRY AND PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE RULES. ENTERPRISE SINGAPORE (“ORGANISER”) RESERVES THE RIGHT TO AT ANY TIME, CANCEL OR AMEND ALL OR ANY PART OF THE COMPETITION AND/OR THE RULES AS IT DEEMS FIT AND WITHOUT NOTICE. IT IS THE PARTICIPANTS’ RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THEMSELVES INFORMED AS TO ANY CHANGES TO THE COMPETITION AND/OR THE RULES. IN THE EVENT OF ANY QUESTION OR MATTER ARISING OUT OF ANY POINT THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY PROVIDED FOR IN ANY OF THE RULES, THE DECISION OF THE ORGANISER SHALL BE FINAL.
IN THE EVENT OF ANY DISPUTE REGARDING THE RULES, THE CONDUCT OR RESULTS OF THE COMPETITION, OR ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE COMPETITION, THE ORGANISER’S DECISION SHALL BE FINAL AND UNCHALLENGEABLE AND NO CORRESPONDENCE OR DISCUSSION SHALL BE ENTERED INTO, COMMENT ISSUED, OR REASON GIVEN IN RESPECT OF ANY DECISION MADE BY THE ORGANISER.
- The Competition will be held during the period from 13 May 2019 to 9 October 2019, both dates inclusive ("Competition Period"). The Organiser reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, modify or suspend the Competition or any part thereof at any time or re-schedule the dates of the Competition or extend the Competition Period.
- THE ORGANISER MAY TERMINATE OR SUSPEND THE COMPETITION AT ANYTIME AT ITS SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION. SUCH TERMINATION OR SUSPENSION WILL NOT GIVE RISE TO ANY CLAIM BY THE PARTICIPANT. THE ORGANISER RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD FUNDING IF IN ITS OPINION NONE OF THE SUBMISSIONS RECEIVED IS OF SUFFICIENT MERIT.
- The Competition is open to all local and foreign registered start-ups, SMEs, and students from local and foreign tertiary institutions. All applicants/entrants/participants ("Participants") must be above the age of 18 years old as at the date of entry. Employees and family members of Commodities Intelligence Centre (CIC), Enterprise Singapore, Global eTrade Services (GeTS) Asia, IPI, Momentum, PSA Corporation, Yang Kee Logistics and YCH group (“Competition Partners”) may not take part in this competition. Participants without existing companies must be prepared to incorporate a company with at least 30% local shareholding if their entry wins the Competition.
- Project Proposals with solutions that have received funding from other programmes run by government agencies or statutory boards will be ineligible for submission in the Competition.
- The definition of start-ups, for the purposes of the Competition, shall be as follows. The company shall:
5.1 be incorporated as a private limited company for less than five years;
5.2 be able to prove substantial innovative and intellectual content for its products and/or services and applications; and
5.3 not be a subsidiary or joint-venture.
- Participants are required to register for the Competition by submitting a Project Proposal via the official website of the Competition and the same must be received by the Organiser on or before 14 July 2019 at 2359 hours Singapore time ("Entry Deadline"). Each submission must be accurate and complete in all aspects and contain all required information. Incomplete or late entries will not be entertained. The Organiser accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected submissions including delays and/or failure of any electronic or telecommunication systems, including but not limited to technical faults and/or network disruptions/congestions. The Organiser is not responsible for any technical or human error which may occur during the registration and/or administration of the Competition.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee the Participant the opportunity to participate in the Competition. The Organiser reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion, to reject or refuse participation of any Participant without providing any reason whatsoever.
- Participants may be required by the Organiser to provide further information and shall do so within the timeframe specified by the Organiser for the information to be furnished, failing which the Participant would be deemed to have withdrawn from the Competition.
- The official language of the competition is English. All competition matters, including registration, correspondence, and project submission, etc must be completed in English.
- As part of the registration process for the Competition, Participants will disclose personal information which may constitute “Personal Data” for the purposes of the Personal Data Protection Act (“PDPA”) of Singapore. Each Participant is deemed to have consented to the Organiser’s collection, use and processing of the said Personal Data for the purposes of administering and conducting the Competition, and further consents to the receipt of marketing material from the Organiser and any of its related companies.
- By entering the Competition, each Participant represents and warrants that he: (a) meets all eligibility requirements of the Competition; (b) has complied with and will comply in all respects with these Rules, and all applicable laws; and (c) the information provided in the entrant's submission, including without limitation all contact information, is true, accurate, and complete in all respects.
- Any false information provided within the context of the Competition by any Participant or non-compliance with any of the Competition Rules, or the like, may result in the immediate elimination of the Participant from the Competition.
IV Team Leaders (Team Participants)
- Each Participant who enters the Competition as a team is required to nominate a team leader ("Team Leader"). The Team Leader will be the main contact person and representative of the team in the Competition. All communication between the Organiser and the team will be through the Team Leader and by email, telephone and/or post to such contact details as are provided at registration.
- All team members are required to be registered at the registration page when submitting the Project Proposal. No changes in the team members are allowed after the registration has been entered.
- All submitted entries shall be evaluated by the respective Competition Partners. Competition Partners will reserve sole discretion to shortlist solutions which will be further evaluated by a panel of judges consisting of representatives from Enterprise Singapore, Commodities Intelligence Centre, GeTS Asia, Momentum, PSA Corporation, Yang Kee Logistics and YCH group and IPI and other Industry experts invited by the Organiser (“Judges”) on 23rd August 2019 (“Pitch Day”).
- The Judges’ decisions in all matters relating to the Competition, including eligibility of the Participants and the selection of the winners, will be final and the Judges shall not be obliged to entertain any correspondence or queries in relation to the same. The Judges shall not be obliged to select a winner if, in their view, none of the Project Proposals is of sufficient merit. Participants are advised to understand the judging criteria well to improve their chances of success.
- The Organiser, the Judges, and the Competition Partners are not obliged to adopt any of the solutions that are developed under this Competition. They may, in their sole discretion, and independent of the Organiser choose to further develop any Project Proposals with any of the teams participating in the Competition.
- The Organiser reserve the right to disqualify entries which, in their sole discretion, are deemed irrelevant, offensive, and/or do not comply with these Rules. The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify or replace any winner if they or he or she is found to be in breach of these Rules or otherwise disqualified. Such disqualified winners will be required to refund the full amount of any funding awarded.
- Participants shall not enter their ideas or any part of the Project Proposal (including software, prototypes or products) in another competition or exhibition unless all the Competition Partners have turned down their first right of refusal (as defined below in clause 23), and in any case not before the end of the Competition Period.
- From the moment of registration for the Competition, all Participants acknowledge and agree to be physically present for all meetings, presentation/pitching sessions, prototype testing trial sessions, judging and award ceremony as scheduled by the Organiser (“Events”). At least 1 team member is to be present at any Event to represent the team. However, all team members are encouraged to attend and participate. In the event that the Participant(s) cannot be present, a valid reason must be given as early as possible. Failure to comply may result in the Participant and/or the team being disqualified from the Competition.
- Participant(s) or team(s) that are disqualified from the Competition will be removed from the Competition immediately and will have to refund the full amount of any funding awarded at any point during the course of the Competition (including any extended period), to the Organiser.
VI Intellectual Property (IP)
- By registering for the Competition and submitting a Project Proposal, each Participant affirms that the Project Proposal is his/her/the team’s original work and that the Participant(s) have the necessary rights to submit the Project Proposal. The Participant(s) further warrant that the submission does not violate any law or regulation or any rights of any third party. The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify any Participant in a scenario where the Organiser believes in its sole and absolute discretion that the submitted Project Proposal or any part thereof infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party. Participants shall indemnify and hold harmless the Organiser and their respective officers against any claims or costs relating to a breach of this term.
- Participants shall grant Competition Partners a right of first refusal ("ROFR") to collaborate with said Participant on any commercialisation of IP generated during this Competition ("Competition IP"). The ROFR shall expire and cease to have effect 90 days after the Pitch Day. For the avoidance of doubt, the ROFR extends to intended commercialisation of the Competition IP by the Participant alone. Participants shall fully retain their respective background IP rights, unless otherwise agreed between the Competition Partner and the Participant. Alternate or future arrangements of IP ownership shall be negotiated separately between the Participants and respective Competition Partners and independent of the Organiser, after submission of the Project Proposal.
- The agreements and arrangements referred to in the preceding clause 23 are solely between the Participant and the Competition Partners. The Organiser is neither party to these agreements and arrangements nor responsible or liable for the same. Participants undertake in favour of the Organiser not to institute, commence or continue any proceedings (whether legal, arbitral, administrative or otherwise) against the Organiser in relation to the aforesaid agreements and arrangements between Participants and Competition Partners.
VII Terms of Competition Partner
- Participants shall agree to fully observe the terms of the Competition Partners, if applicable.
VIII Media Usage
- By entering this Competition, Participants consent to the use of their personal data defined above in clause 10 by the Organiser for the purposes of any post-Competition activities and/or publicity. Participants agree to take part in any publicity relating to the Competition as well as to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- Participants acknowledge and agree to participate and cooperate in all media and promotional activities relating to the Competition, including but not limited to being interviewed, photographed and videoed at any time during the Competition Period. Participants grant the Organiser a no-royalty/fee, world-wide, perpetual, irrevocable and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, display and/or create derivative works of such footages and photographs in all media worldwide, including online social media and networking websites without compensation (unless prohibited by law) and without prior inspection or approval. Participants agree to execute additional specific consents to such use if asked to do so.
- Whilst reasonable precaution will be taken by the Organiser and the Competition Partners to ensure safety of all the Participants, each Participant acknowledges and agrees that his or her participation in the Competition is at his or her own risk. Upon registration for the Competition, the Participant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Organiser, their subsidiaries/associated companies and the Competition Partners, including their respective officers, employees, contractors and agents, from and against any and all claims, causes of action, damages, obligations, losses (including any loss of opportunity), liabilities (including negligence), personal injuries, costs or debt, and expenses (including attorneys’ fees and costs) and all amounts paid in settlement arising from or relating to, whether directly or indirectly, special or consequential, to the Participant’s participation in the Competition. The Organiser and/or the Competition Partners may assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which Participants have agreed to indemnify the Organiser and the Competition Partners. Participants agree to assist and cooperate with the Organiser and the Competition Partners in the defense or settlement of any such matters.
- Each Participant is required to take all appropriate safety measures including obtaining appropriate insurance coverage (if necessary) throughout this Competition covering but not limited to designing and developing the prototype, conducting the prototype trials including any visits to the Organiser or the Competition Partners’ premises.
- These Rules shall constitute the entire agreement between the Organiser and the Participant and supersede all prior representations, arrangements, understandings and agreements between the Parties (whether oral or written) relating to the subject matter herein contained.
- These Rules shall be construed, governed and interpreted in all respects in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Singapore and the Parties agree to submit all disputes and claims in respect to these Rules to the jurisdiction of the Courts of the Republic of Singapore.
- If any of the clauses of these Rules is found to be invalid for any reason whatsoever, such invalidity shall not affect the validity and operation of the other remaining provisions of these Rules.
- Headings are for convenience of reference only and shall not affect the interpretation of these Rules.
- Participants shall not be entitled to assign any of the rights and obligations under these Rules without the express written consent of the Organiser.
- Nothing in these Rules shall operate so as to create a partnership or joint venture of any kind between the Parties.
- The Organiser reserves the right to amend the Rules at their discretion and without having to give prior notification. The Participant will be notified of the change after the terms are updated.